This Agile Team Checkup is the best and fastest way to assess Team performance, root of key issues, determine actions to resolve them, and motivate the team to take action.
WHY this Checkup?
- Same as a good doctor visit, Agile Team Health Checkup will provide you with four key insights:
- Health Assessment: Open, collaborative, positive, high-engagement, and fun team session assesses overall health while discovering key issues.
- Issue Pathology: Root-cause-analysis will dig deep into the cause(s) of key issues identified.
- Determine Treatment: Action items based on above will provide a clear steps, owners, and timelines for team improvement and issue recovery.
- Inspire Change: Integrated opportunity to provide positive micro-recognition to specific staff as a way to promote desired team behaviours (info can also be used for performance evaluations).
- Holistic balanced health check of how your Team is doing across the six key dimensions:
- Team’s ability to execute the work
- Team health, stability, and engagement
- Health of work and technical environment
- Clarity and quality of business requirements / stories
- Quality and accuracy of solution design
- Quality of final product / service released to the customer
Most valuable, as part of this workshop we train and equip a leader in your organization on HOW to deliver this Checkup in the future. We teach you “how to fish” and apply this to future business needs.
HOW does it work?
This team checkup consists of an assessment, a retrospective, and a problem-solving workshop. It is mean to occur in sync with your team’s normal program level cadence (e.g. quarterly).
- Pre-Planning & Leader Training [Leader only]
- 1 hr. Leader training session including writing of the Assessment invitation email to the team and how to lead / facilitate step 3 (as outlined below)
- Step 1: Team Briefing [team / 6 to 12 people]
- 10-15 meeting to introduce the checkup, its purpose, and its process (ideally as part of existing Iteration Planning, Iteration Demo, or Iteration Retrospective meeting)
- Step 2: Full-day Team Assessment and Problem Solving Workshop [team / 6 to 12 people]
- 9 AM to 12 Noon: High-engagement collaborative assessment and retrospective will contain both quantitative and qualitative health measures pertaining to the team.
- 12 Noon to 1 PM: Team Lunch that includes a fun team-building activity
- 1 PM to 4 PM: Problem-Solving Workshop for top two issues as identified during the morning assessment. This part of the workshop uses root-cause analysis (to discover true nature of specific issue) and solution discovery to identify how to resolve the issue.
- 4 PM to 5 PM: Identify and commit key action items, owners, target dates and motivate desired team behaviours using a micro-recognition exercise.
- Step 3: Additional Assessment via Anonymous Survey [team / 6 to 12 people]
- Individual anonymous 10-minute survey to balance previous-day collaborative assessment and retrospective is aimed to get additional feedback that may not have been already shared. The team will have TBD days (at Leader’s discretion) to complete it.
- Post-Planning & Leader Training [Leader only]
- Review of what happened in all three steps above
- Final Balanced Team Checkup Report is finalized
- Answering additional questions regarding this approach
WHO should participate?
- Product Owner / Manager
- Team Scrum Master
- The Scrum Team
- Leader in training (ideally NOT any of the above)
WHAT do I get out of it?
- Balanced Team Checkup Report containing both quantitative and qualitative evaluation of how your team is doing.
- Root-Cause Analysis Report for top two issues identified in the Team Assessment and Team Retrospective.
- List of confirmed and committed improvement action items, owners, and target dates. Some of these may need to be escalated to management and director level.
- Record of Portfolio team micro-recognitions (can be used for promoting specific behaviours as well as staff performance reviews)
- Most importantly, a Trained Leader in your organizations that can lead this checkup process again in the future (including checkup templates and materials).
- Location is provided by the client (ideally a large boardroom)
- The room must include a large wall / area minimum 10 meters wide (glass, whiteboard, wood, drywall or any combination) used to plan and visualize findings
- Breakfast, lunch, snacks are provided by the client (or can be provided at extra cost)
This checkup costs $5,000 CAD / $4,000 US per team (includes cost of materials and final report)
Additional as-needed costs covered by the client (can be provided at additional cost):
- Team Retrospective and Workshop location (provided by the client)
- Travel, room, board, and related (for the half-day Team Retrospective and Problem-Solving Workshop).
Please contact us to schedule the Agile Checkup.