WHY this Workshop?
Evolve your Program Planning in just 3 days! This sprint is the fastest, easiest, and most fun way to successfully plan out the execution of multiple programs or multiple projects across multiple teams to achieve one shared and committed roadmap. As an added benefit, this workshop uses LEAN principles to achieve the highest business value possible.
Most valuable, as part of this workshop we train and equip a leader in your organization on HOW to deliver this workshop in the future. We teach you “how to fish” and apply this to future business needs.
HOW does it work?
- Prerequisites for this Sprint (provided by client or through LEAN Portfolio Planning Sprint)
- List of confirmed and prioritized programs / projects with clear business objectives
- Program documentation (e.g. business cases) or project documentation (e.g. project plans) including clear list of requirements, preliminary effort sizing, and any milestones
- Program managers / project managers committed for 3 days, execution teams committed for 2 days (5 days for the leader)
- Pre-Planning & Leader Training [Leader only]
- Session purpose, overview, format, logistics, setup, and formal invitation
- Detailed workshop run-through focusing on leader facilitation
- Outcome: Workshop readiness and clear purpose
- Day 1: Understanding your Programs / Projects [6 to 15 program / project managers or directors]
- AM: Review programs / projects for overlaps, conflicts, and dependencies
- PM: High-level architecture / UX / solution design (for any programs or projects that require it) to be presented to execution teams the next day
- Outcome: Clear understanding of programs / projects to be planned out
- Day 2: Creating Draft Team Plans [all teams / max 60 people]
- AM: Brief execution teams with program / project overviews
- PM: Teams collaborate to develop draft team plans for next 3-6 months
- Outcome: Draft Team Plans for Program / Project Execution
- Day 3: Creating and Committing to one Shared Roadmap [all teams / max 60 people]
- AM: Draft plans are revised based on executive feedback and cross-team dependencies
- PM: Risk analysis, confidence vote, and cross-team committment
- Outcome: One shared cross-team, realistic, and committed program / project roadmap
- Post-Planning & Leader Training [Leader only]
- Workshop retrospective and leader training
- Collaboratively produce final version of all resulting work and decisions (draft version is available right after Day 3 of the workshop).
- Outcome: All final documentation and assets
WHO should participate?
- Program / Project Managers or Directors responsible for programs / projects to be planned out
- Execution teams responsible for delivering the above programs / projects
- Business Owners responsible for the outcomes of the above programs / projects (required at specific times during the 3 days)
- Product Managers / Owners responsible for the product / service developed via above programs / projects
- Other implementation and delivery leads / managers / team leads
- At least one ultimate decision makes (e.g. Product / Service Director) who can enter the stage in a few critical times to direct key decisions
WHAT do I get out of it?
- One shared and committed program / product execution roadmap that includes cross-team dependencies
- Expected release schedule based on the above roadmap
- Risk register across all programs / projects
- Most importantly, a Trained Leader in your organizations that can lead this workshop again in the future (including workshop templates and materials).
- For virtual workshop, we will provide online tools (Mural)
- For on-site workshops, location is provided by the client (ideally a large boardroom)
- The room must include a large wall / area minimum 10 meters wide (glass, whiteboard, wood, drywall or any combination) used to plan and visualize findings
- Breakfast, lunch, snacks are provided by the client
This workshop costs $18,000 CAD / $15,000 USD (includes cost of materials)
Additional as-needed costs covered by the client (can be provided at additional cost):
- Workshop location (provided by the client)
- Any food / drinks / treats provided during the workshop
- Travel, room, board, and related
Please contact us to schedule the workshop.
Do you have other questions?
Access the Sprint Workshop FAQ page