WHY this Workshop?
Kickstart your Marketing PMO start in just 3 days! This sprint is the fastest, easiest, and most fun way to collaboratively decide on PMO purpose / KPIs, to develop future states of key PMO processes, and to develop a 2-year PMO transformation roadmap.
Most valuable, as part of this workshop we train and equip a leader in your organization on HOW to deliver this workshop in the future. We teach you “how to fish” and apply this in the future to tackle the next big challenge.
Adapted for your desired PMO Maturity
The workshop is adapted for the unique PMO maturity of your business (chart below), commonly based on three key factors:
- The complexity of your product being managed by the PMO (higher PMO maturity is required to deliver more complex products)
- The expected predictability of your product delivery (higher PMO maturity is required to manage higher product delivery risks / ambiguities)
- What level of PMO investment is financially justified (higher PMO maturity is required to manage more expensive products with lower tolerance for financial risks)
HOW does it work?
- Prerequisites for this Workshop
- The BIG WHY: Why does your business want to introduce or grow a formal PMO practice? What are the business KPIs the PMO will be driving?
- Current HOW: Diagrams describing your current PMO processes and structures.
- Current WHAT: Samples of key artifacts / documents used in your current PMO processes (e.g. business case, project charter, change request, etc.)
- PMO and effected Management team with 3 committed days (5 days for the leader in training)
- Pre-Planning & Leader Training [Leader only]
- Session purpose, overview, format, logistics, setup, and formal invitation
- Detailed workshop run-through focusing on leader facilitation
- Outcome: Workshop readiness and clear purpose
- Day 1: Establish Ideal Maturity Level and Key KPIs [6 to 20 people]
- AM: Define and clearly articulate PMO mandate and key KPIs
- PM: Start mapping key future processes in the bigger PMO and business context (e.g. intake, approval, change request)
- Outcome: Determine key future processes driving key KPIs
- Day 2: Determine the expected value of PMO practice [6 to 20 people]
- AM: Finish mapping key future processes including staff roles and systems required to deliver PMO
- PM: Establish and estimate key supporting PMO practices to determine expected ROI
- Outcome: Determine preliminary expected ROI for the PMO
- Day 3: Define PMO Transformation Plan [6 to 20 people]
- AM: Identify staff transition and training efforts to support PMO transformation
- PM: Identify Culture Changes and communications to support PMO transformation
- Outcome: 2-year PMO Transformation Roadmap
- Post-Planning & Leader Training [Leader only]
- Workshop retrospective and leader training
- Collaboratively produce and edit final version of all resulting work and decisions (draft version is available right after Day 3 of the workshop).
- Outcome: All final documentation and assets
WHO should participate?
- Current and future PMO team including PMO Lead, Program Managers, Project Managers
- Key delivery managers responsible for teams managed by PMO team to deliver projects / products
- At least one ultimate decision maker (e.g. VP) who can enter the stage in a few critical times to direct key decisions
WHAT do I get out of it?
- Clarity on PMO purpose, key KPIs, and PMO ROI… all needed to size PMO appropriately to the ROI
- Visualizations and alignment on key PMO processes (e.g. intake, approval, change request)
- 2-year PMO transformation roadmap including staff transition / training and culture changes
- An engaged invigorated PMO team of organizational leaders excited and ready to implement the Digital Transformation
- Most importantly, a Trained Leader in your organizations that can lead this workshop again in the future (including workshop templates and materials).
- Location is provided by the client (ideally a large boardroom)
- The room must include a large wall / area minimum 10 meters wide (glass, whiteboard, wood, drywall or any combination) used to plan and visualize findings
- Large boardroom table for discussion and collaboration
- Breakfast, lunch, snacks are provided by the client
This sprint costs $15,000 CAD (includes cost of materials)
Additional as-needed costs covered by the client (can be provided at additional cost):
- Workshop location (provided by the client)
- Any food / drinks / treats provided during the workshop
- Travel, room, board, and related
Do you have other questions?
Access the Sprint Workshop FAQ page